Friday, September 8, 2017

Birthday Freebies!!! AWESOME to lame

FREE STUFF ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

LOVE IT!!! TO LAME :-/

At Baskin Robbins with Laurie getting my free Birthday Cone!
Yesterday was my Birthday.  For all of those who missed it, I am still registered at Home Depot and Lowe’s.

          A Birthday is a wonderful day to celebrate by doing good things and giving of yourself to others.  I could have done that, but I didn’t.  Maybe next year.  Now, those of you who are judging, admit it---there is at least a part of that special day that you enjoyed being honored and, well, a little selfishly pampered.  So don’t judge me too harshly.  (Actually when it comes down to it, our birthdays really ought to be celebrated as our Mother’s special days, but that is a subject for another post).  As a note, this is not about my family or friends whose honor for me on my birthday is always a treat and for which I am always grateful.  NOTHING that any business can do can compare with the love shown to me by my family and friends.  I hope that they know how grateful I am for the and how much it means to me that they care to simply wish me a happy birthday.  No, this post is simply about those business with which I have some sort of relationship.

          Yesterday, I decided that I would reap the benefits from those commercial enterprises which I “faithfully” support for twelve months just to stay on their good sides.  And there were some good ones.  After dropping my friend, Rob at the airport, I had some time to kill before I had to get to work.  I pulled into a Denny’s parking lot (I had nothing from Denny’s--) and did a search in my gmail inbox under “Birthday”.  After relegating to the spam folder those who were celebrating THEIR birthdays I looked down the list of those whose subject lines started with something like “we want to celebrate your birthday”.  The first one that I found was a hit!  Jamba Juice!!!  A free small smoothie or juice of my choice!


At Jamba Juice with Helpful, friendly staff!!!


Jamba Juice is an example of how I think an enterprise can really tell you how they love you as a customer.  No BOGO free. No “if you buy an entrée for $40.00 we’llgive you a free sprinkle on your cupcake.”   Just a free “Come in and get a free smoothie or juice (limitation on the size)” of your choice. HOW COOL IS THAT!!! So I did.  I had to drive 2.5 miles to do it, but it was worth it.  

I got to the Jamba Juice at 4th South in Salt Lake City with about 15 minutes to get to work and found it nearly empty with one customer.  I walked up to the cash register and was greeted by a friendly little clerk.  Since it was my intention to not spend my money today, I wanted to ensure that I could use my coupon on my special day. After she confirmed that and I punched my phone number into the key pad, she asked me what I wanted.  I said, “You choose!” (It was the least I could do since she was giving me a free smoothie.  I think it had strawberries in it. I know there was sugar.  Another worker made my Jamba Juice smoothie and then I asked for one more favor, “Would you mind posing with me for a selfie”.  The girl who made the smoothie quickly responded, “I’m good” (which I long ago learned translates to “NO WAY!”).  I certainly can forgive her…I mean she probably already has a grandfather and doesn’t need to adopt another one.  This put the cashier on the spot and she, forced smile included, obliged.  Jamba Juice rocks!  

After getting to work, I culled through the other offers.  Among the free stuff, no strings attached with maybe limitations to size, are Baskin Robbins (free scoop of ice cream) Jersey Mikes free sub and fountain drink (although I think you actually have to get it on your birthday – some offers are good for two weeks to a month), Dukes, El Pollo Loco (defined free entrée), IHOP (free Rooty Tooty Fresh N Fruity stack of pancakes), Yogurtland ( free 16 oz of free FROYO) and Red Robin (free hamburger).  These businesses LOVE ME!!  At least that is what they are telling me when they give me free stuff, no strings attached. Oh, I almost forgot, the West Jordan Smith's Marketplace on 5600 West last year gave me a HUGE free Sundae, a Band accompanying their entire department head staff in singing me happy birthday and DID take a selfie with me. I wanted to go back, but my schedule was too tight!  (I think they were surprised when a 60 year old, not a 6 year old, showed up to take them up on their offer for the free sundae, but a 6 year old could not have tackled that massive Sundae---they still have not put an age limit on their free sundae offering).



Next in line for those who really appreciate my business – BOGO free.  Falling into this category are Rodizio Grill (yours is free when you buy an entrée), Golden Corral (BOGO free), and Cold Stone Creamery ( BOGO free).  Provided these opportunities don’t run out before I get to them, I’ll use them. And they have guaranteed at least one visit from me this next year.

In the, “somewhat appreciate me” category are the “discount or dessert” category.  Those include Magleby’s (entrée choice up to $10.00---I am pretty sure most of their menu is over $10.00 unless I just order fries), Café Rio ($5.00 – again, most of their entrees are around $7.99 if you order the special), Olive Garden (free dessert), Salty’s restaurant (free dessert), Regal Cinema’s (free popcorn-no strings attached but, come on, I’m not going to the theatre just to buy popcorn equivalent to what I can pop in my microwave), Costa Vida (free dessert), Chili’s (free dessert).  These are businesses that I wonder if they really love my business.  I mean, after all, there are strings attached. They’re saying thank you with a dessert I probably wouldn’t order or a discount, sometimes deep, that is really a way of saying “Hey, you ought to buy more from us on your Birthday.” It’s my birthday, not yours.

I am the first one to admit that you cannot run a business on just giving away free stuff (unless you are google).  I know, I’ve tried it.  But, it just seems to me that a free meal to a customer, no strings attached is a great way to ensure their patronage.  Hey, it’s all about the customer, right?

But, in the COMPLETELY LAME category are these businesses.  1-800- flowers I think tops the list. Free shipping on flowers.  Now why would I celebrate by buying myself flower on my special day?  I’m not even sure I LIKE getting flowers (I rarely get them).  How is that a celebration?  Or, how about Hertz and Sixt.  Hertz said I could get 275 gold points on my next rental and Sixt offered me a $20.00 deal on a one day SUV rental.  Really?  I have to expend brain power to decide if the Hertz deal is worth anything and the SUV rental—No thanks!!  Admittedly, I am not in their top tier of customers, but why even bother with it.  Plenti – Rite Aid – 25% off of a purchase.  Like I am buying cough drops to live it up on my birthday?  Oh, and Lyft, keep your video to yourself.  It wasn’t that cute.

But to the businesses who offer “free stuff” under the guise of wishing you a happy birthday:  Make it worth something to the consumer.  You will never be as cherished and loved by me as my family and friends.  But, you might get my loyalty.  At least until my next birthday.  That’s gotta be worth something, doesn’t it?

At least, that’s the way I see it.




No comments:

Post a Comment