Friday, May 15, 2015

CLASS RING FOUND - AFTER NEARLY 40 YEARS!!










At 9:58 pm PDT on  Friday 8 May 2015, I received an email from a complete stranger with the following notation in the subject line:

"Class Ring found"

I graduated from Bonneville High School in 1974. With friends and experiences, both good and bad, that I would remember forever, I was grateful for my high school experience.  Like many High School students, I symbolized my experience as a Laker by purchasing a class ring and had my initials "RVG" graven on the inside of the ring.

Starting with the day that I purchased my ring, I wore it faithfully, taking it off only to wash my hands or do something that I thought might damage the ring. Even when I was called by a Prophet of God to leave my home in Ogden, Utah to serve a 2 year mission in September 1975, my school heritage, my school ring, went with me as I served in the California Oakland Mission.

It was in my second area of Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda that I lost my class ring.  I remembered that I had just come out of a public restroom in Lafayette and was getting on my bicycle when I noticed that I was not wearing my class ring.  Thinking that I had taken it off to wash my hands, I ran back into the restroom, searched all over but was unable to find it.  I was sick.  This was the only thing that I felt I had that tied me to my experience as a Bonneville Laker.  

A missionary, however, does not have a lot of discretionary time to focus on something as trivial and temporal as a class ring.  While I enjoyed reminiscing from time to time about my pre-mission heritage, I found greater joy in serving my God and serving others.  Soon the reality of the loss of the ring turned into a cold fact, rather than a loss of a cherished possession.

Over the years, however, I have never forgotten losing my ring.  In my mind, I imagined someone seeing that ring in the bathroom, on the sink counter, coveting it for a collectible or for the value of minuscule amount of precious metal that it might contain.  On occasion I have shared the story of the lost ring with family and friends.  

When I first saw that email at around 9:58 pm on Friday, 8 May 2015, I thought it was spam.  Because of the obvious nerve it struck, I had to read on:


 I may have found your high school class ring.
Many years ago when I was a kid I found a high school class ring on the Oakland Temple grounds where my father worked. Today i was going through a box that has been in storage for nearly 20 years and came across the class ring. After doing some searching on the internet I came across your name and info.
If it is yours I would like to get it back to you.

His phone number was listed on the email.  Even though I could tell from his email address and area code that he lived in Utah and that it was now around 11:00 pm, I called.  He was gracious enough to answer.  My finder told me how he had found the ring on the Oakland temple grounds, obviously miles from when I first noticed it missing, which suggests that it may have been missing for days before I discovered it missing.  He had apparently put it in a storage box buried and somewhat forgotten until the day that he got it out to look at some other items in the same lot.  He somehow located a list of those who had graduated from Bonneville High School, discovered that there were only 4 of the Bonneville 1974 graduating class that had the initials "RG" but only one who had the middle initial "V".    

Today, the ring arrived.  It is just as I remembered it.  My heart lifted as I looked at the initials graven inside "RVG".  What was lost, is now found

.



My ring is still very important to me, but for different reasons now.  While it still serves as a reminder of cherished high school days, it has now become a symbol of how nothing is lost to the Master and how he makes every effort for us to be found.

The Master taught several parables which serve to enlighten us on just how precious each and every soul is.  In one, the Savior talks about the woman who, even though she has ten pieces of silver, if she loses one, she lights a candle, sweeps until she finds it and then calls her friends and neighbors to rejoice over finding it.  (Luke 15:9). After this one, the Savior says: "likewise there is joy in the presence of angels of God over one sinner that repenteth."  (Luke 15:10)  In another, the Savior asks the question about the shepherd who, even though he has 99 sheep (a lot of sheep in my book) he leaves them to find the one.  At the end of that parable he notes that the joy in finding that one lost sheep is similar to the rejoicing that shall be in heaven over the 1 who has repented over the 99 who did not need repenting. (Luke 15:6).  But, perhaps my favorite, is the story of the prodigal son who, abandoning his father, squanders his inheritance and, upon coming back in humility, is met by his Father who invites his friends to rejoice with him over the return of a son who, previously, had abandoned his family.  Luke 15:15-32.

Those of us, who have done horrible, horrible things cannot help but feel the recognition of our guilt before God and our fellow man.  Even while we read the words of the Savior about how we are gladly accepted when we repent, we still wonder if the Savior still loves us as he would if we had not done the wrong that required the repentance.

For me, this was my answer to that question:  God knew that by the preservation of my ring for nearly 40 years and its ultimate return to me, he could teach me how precious my soul is to him and how he truly loves me.  I think of all of the things that had to happen for my ring to be returned to me.  I had to lose it in a place where somehow it would be found.  The person finding the ring had to make a decision to not discard it, sell it,  or keep it for himself as a souvenir, but to preserve it.  He put it away not for mere weeks, months or even years, but for decades.  He had to have a reason to dig out the container in which it was stored.  He had to somehow realize that this ring meant something, a lot of something to me and that it was worth searching to find me.

I am so grateful to a man who was an instrument in God's hands to teach me in a simple way that I would understand, how much God loves each one of us. I hope that this ring will serve as my reminder of how important it is for me to repent and be reconciled with my God.  

As I thought about my initials graven on the inside of my ring, this scripture, a manifestation of the Savior's love for us came to mind:

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.....

Isaiah 49:16






5 comments:

  1. What a great story, Ray. After reading it I dug out the jewelry box that had belonged to my great-grandmother and found my ring. I suspect many of our classmates are doing this very thing. Thank you for posting this inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, I'm glad that you enjoyed my small miracle! I have heard from several, like you, who are doing just that! Thanks again for your comment!

      Delete
  2. What a great post ! I lost my class ring 35 years ago and I have doubts I will ever see it again, but after reading this, who knows? Great analogy comparing it to the lost souls and love Christ has for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, Thank you for your comments! The ring is on my finger as I type this (and has been since I got it back). Many of my classmates noted that their rings were safely in storage which is, I think, appropriate since they have placed them where all memories should be placed. Because of my experience, mine is now a symbol of God's omniscience and his promise to never forget us. As for your question "who knows?" we both know the answer to that. :) Thank you again for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Great story Raymond. Wonderful sybolism for deserving man. How can it possibly be 43 years ago?

    ReplyDelete